About Me

My photo
Hi, I am Gera the creator of BrownSkinBeauties. This blog is a lifestyle blog its not just fashion, beauty, hair, love, or celebs its any and everything in between that I see in my daily life. contact me bsbbeauties@gmail.com www.brownskin-beauties.com COMING SOON pls follow us on twitter.com/bsbbeauties or visit myspace.com/brownskinbeauties or become a fan on fb! Always BSB

Sunday, April 4, 2010

ERYKAH BADU NEW VIDEO: " WINDOW SEAT" ARTISTIC OR NOT?


As I write this blog entry I am actually listening to Erykah Badu "Next Lifetime" and I so love this song. What a coincidence right? But as the world knows Ms. Badu bared all for her new video "Window Seat". Now unless you were living under a rock you heard all about her body (emphasis on her booty) via twitter, facebook and my ex friend myspace. LOL But did anybody really listen to the song or get her message that she was trying to send? GROUPTHINK. Now I actually thought the video was bland compared to her others the hype was not necessary but anytime people see nudity or a big butt they get excited. (plus I been knew she had a booty) It's just human reaction. But did her undressing to her birthday suit take away from her message?

I say yes. Because all I heard was, "Damn I didn't know Badu had a body like that?" and one of my fb friends said he was "Ready, to get airport security rough with himself to that video." If you get my drift. But I heard few comments on the song or even GROUPTHINK. I also heard a lady say it was like watching a Calgon commercial. Really? I guess. But my question to you is if Beyonce, Rihanna, or even Nicki Minaj did this same exact video would it still be so beautiful and artistic? Or would it be another woman using her sex appeal to sell records? Or another female artist making black females look like sexual objects? I really wonder if it was another black female doing a nude inspired video like this would we really praise her for her "creativity" like people are doing to Ms. Badu. Now don't think I am not an Erykah badu fan because I am a FAN! I am not hating at all. But it's just funny to me how people praise a person for doing something that is taboo but criticize another based on their image. Mmmmmm..... funny right?

But I read on necolebitchie.com , an old interview of Badu, where she sarcastically talks about how to make it the music industry. She discusses how you have to be naked and wear heels and glitter and do something wild to get attention etc. Did she take her own advice? Not necessarily to "make it in the music industry" because she has already done that but to grab our attention. Because I wonder if she had never gotten naked in the video would people still talk about the video? Think about it. But if you know the definition of GROUPTHINK than you can understand why she went to that extreme. She is trying to be the opposite of GROUPTHINK and the video represents that. But does the video represent creativity and art or is it just Erykah Badu undressing in the park. You make that decision.

Always BSB,
Miss BSB

**watch video on her website erykahbadu.com and to all those excited about the video GO BUY HER ALBUM!! New Amerykah Part Two: Return of Ankh IN STORES NOW

No comments:

Post a Comment