About Me

My photo
Hi, I am Gera the creator of BrownSkinBeauties. This blog is a lifestyle blog its not just fashion, beauty, hair, love, or celebs its any and everything in between that I see in my daily life. contact me bsbbeauties@gmail.com www.brownskin-beauties.com COMING SOON pls follow us on twitter.com/bsbbeauties or visit myspace.com/brownskinbeauties or become a fan on fb! Always BSB

Friday, December 4, 2009

Brownskin and the Media

Ok. I have been a music video fanactic since I was about 9. I have tapes of music videos from MTV and BET and even THE BOX. LOL. So I am a music video expert. One thing I have noticed in watching rap and r&b videos is the lack of brownies in the videos. (Brownies is my term for us brown and dark skin girls) Now you may catch some models in the back but you rarely see the main model being brownskin. Thats why I can literally tell you every video that has featured a brownie as the lead girl. The models always tend to be fair skinned, mixed, or look "exotic" where you can't even tell they race. Now dont think for a minute I am hating on these women. Not at all. I salute to all beautiful women regardless of skin color or race. But as a viewer, it gets to the point where you're like ummm... "Is these the only women you view attractive?" You start to want to see someone who looks like you not Adriana Lima especially when you know its sexy brownies out there.

Young girls are growing up watching these videos and it affects their self esteem and confidence. Because when you are constantly seeing this image of beauty and you are not that image you start to wonder, "Am I beautiful?" Am I attractive to men?" Trust me world this is not a good feeling. Especially because you can not change your complexion unless you have the MJ and Sammy Sosa serum and I doubt anyone does but them. And if you dont have a strong sense of self it will really get to you. And I'm not sayin every model in the music videos needs to be a brownie , not at all but I am sayin please showcase all shades of beauty.


So this is my plea to the music video directors and artists.

Please start to cast models of all complexions. We get it! You love lightskin and exotic looking women. But its starting to get tiring. There are beautiful brown women in the world so please take advantage and put them in your videos. Jimney crackers!


And I did a lil research and I put together a list of artists who have used brownies in their video more than once. (only the lead model not background)

Update: I quit the research. lol So here is some of the videos I know off hand that feature brown skin women!


Trey Songz: "Wonder Woman" "Last Time" "Missin U" "Invented Sex"

Chris Brown: "Say Goodbye" "Run it"

Micheal Jackson: "Thriller" "You Rock My World" "Remember The Time" "Keep it in the Closet"

R Kelly : "Slow Wind" "Wonderful" "Step in the Name of Love

Ne-yo: "Miss Independent" "Stay with Me" "Sexy Love"

T-Pain: "I'm in Love" "Can't Believe It" "Buy You a Drank" "Bartender"

Usher: "My Way" "U Remind Me" "Yeah" "Confessions II" "Seduction"

Fabolous: "Baby Don't Go" "Baby"

Pharrel Williams "Frontin" "She Wants to Move"

Tyrese: "Sweet Lady" "Signs of Lovemaking"

Ok I'm done for now. But I will update when I get more videos but its not alot....smh

No comments:

Post a Comment