About Me

My photo
Hi, I am Gera the creator of BrownSkinBeauties. This blog is a lifestyle blog its not just fashion, beauty, hair, love, or celebs its any and everything in between that I see in my daily life. contact me bsbbeauties@gmail.com www.brownskin-beauties.com COMING SOON pls follow us on twitter.com/bsbbeauties or visit myspace.com/brownskinbeauties or become a fan on fb! Always BSB

Saturday, December 5, 2009

SO LITTLE MAKEUP FOR TOO MANY SHADES




Today I went on a makeup hunt due to my MAC studio fix no longer working for my cocoa brown complexion. I had started to look ashy and boo I don't do ashy and dry looking makeup. I ain't feenin to be looking like Precious mom. LOL So I went to MAC and well no one really tried to help me so I left and went right across to Sephora. (customer service=sales..belee dat!!) So you know MAC is on my shit list but I am not going to give them up yet. I am still a MAC baby! Now of course it being the holiday season there was too many customers versus workers. So I lucked up and got one makeup artist but she was a small white woman and I got kinda nervous. Not because I believed she was inadequate but because I wasn't sure if she "understood my complexion." She asked me some basic questions and she recommended COVER FX foundation. We tried two shades and I purchased the darker one which covered my blemishes and my uneven skin tone. The great thing about COVER is it also acts an concealer so you kill two birds in one stone. The price was 45$ which is way more than drug store brands and about 17$ more than MAC but she was nice so I gave it try. Plus at SEPHORA if you don't like it you can return it. :)


But even though I did purchase a foundation I realized how little choices we have as women of color when it comes to makeup. Most makeup companies had an average of 4-6 shades for women of color. I seen some companies that had less. That is a problem because it is noted that there is more than 20 shades concerning black women's complexion. This is not including other ethnic groups like East Indian, Asian, and African women. Also the key to finding a good foundation is matching your undertone which various from blue, red, and yellow. This is the issue I had to day because alot of foundations had a warm undertone that made my skin look more red. When in fact, my undertone is more cool even though it was the right color it wasn't the right undertone. For example, I tried MAC studio tech in NW50 and it made my skin look more red and when I tried NC50 it blended better into my skin tone. Get me? Now, I was truly stunned that here I am surronded by so much makeup and I have so few choices it was so disappointing.

Especially when there are so many women of color who wear makeup I think we should have better selection. Because my brown is not Nia Long brown her brown isn't Gabrielle Union and her brown isn't Sanaa Lathan brown and her brown isn't Rihanna brown and her brown isn't Alek Wek brown. You get me? So I hope to have BSB makeup that will help ease the black female headache of finding the right foundation color.

Always BSB,
from the Black woman who needs the right color foundation :)
Brownskin is in!!!













No comments:

Post a Comment